KUINEP guidelines

In other languages

KUINEP academic calendar

Fall Semester: 1 October to 31 March
Spring Semester: 1 April to 30 September

Students may enroll for up to two consecutive semesters, starting in either Fall or Spring, with approval from their home universities.


Each applicant must:

  1. Have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent
  2. Agree to remain enrolled in an undergraduate program at the home institution — one based outside Japan, that has a university-level student-exchange agreement with Kyoto University — until completion of KUINEP
  3. Agree to leave Kyoto University and return to the home institution upon completion of KUINEP
  4. Be in good academic and disciplinary standing
  5. Demonstrate the level of language proficiency required for the exchange program
  6. Have a concrete purpose for studying at Kyoto University

Language of instruction

All KUINEP courses are taught in English. KUINEP students are therefore expected to be proficient in English (TOEFL iBT 79, IELTS 6.5, or equivalent). Japanese language proficiency is not required.

Student status

All KUINEP students will be affiliated with the Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences as Special Auditors (this applies to those enrolling in the 2020 Fall Semester or later).

Tuition and fees

Based on the University's student exchange agreements, KUINEP students will be exempted from examination fees, matriculation fees, and tuition at Kyoto University.

Financial aid

The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), a government-sponsored non-profit organization promoting international student exchange, offers scholarships to a limited number of students. KUINEP students may apply for the JASSO Scholarship for Short-term Study in Japan through Kyoto University, except for those expecting to 1) receive financial support of more than 80,000 yen per month for their studies in Japan from another source, or 2) reside in Japan without "Student" visa status, including Japanese nationals and permanent residents.

The JASSO Scholarship for Short-term Study in Japan provides a monthly stipend of 80,000 yen.

Entering Japan

There are certain procedures required of foreign students wishing to study at Japanese universities. KUINEP students from abroad, for example, must possess a valid passport and "Student" visa. In order to obtain this visa, students must have been issued a Certificate of Eligibility from the Kyoto Immigration Bureau. Applications for this Certificate will be submitted by Kyoto University. Upon receiving this Certificate, students should apply for a visa at a Japanese diplomatic mission — such as an embassy or consulate — in their own countries. Further instructions will be provided upon admission.

Japanese nationals and permanent residents of Japan may also enroll in KUINEP.

Mandatory health insurance

Japanese law stipulates that all students studying at Japanese universities for more than three months must enroll in the country's National Health Insurance (NHI) program, which costs around 2,000 yen per month.

When entering Kyoto University, students must also join the University CO-OP Personal Liability Insurance for Students (Gakubai), which requires an annual payment of around 2,000 yen. To enroll in Gakubai, students must first join the CO-OP by paying a 4,000-yen membership fee, which is fully refundable upon deregistration.

It is recommended that international students purchase travel insurance in their home countries, in addition to enrolling in all of the above, in order to ensure adequate coverage.