Research Students

In other languages

The Research Student (Kenkyusei) enrollment option allows students to conduct research at a graduate school/research institute of their choosing, enabling prospective master's and doctoral students from abroad to prepare for their desired programs under faculty supervision. Such students are not, however, eligible for academic credits or degrees from Kyoto University.

Candidates for Research Student enrollment include those wishing to:

  • Prepare for a master’s/doctoral program under a preferred professor’s supervision
  • Intern at a laboratory for a specific period of time(1)
  • Apply for PhD joint supervision as a Special Research Student (共同養成博士研究生) under the Chinese Government Graduate Student Overseas Study Program, run by the China Scholarship Council (CSC)(2)

Please note that admission schedules and eligibility vary by graduate school and laboratory, and that some programs do not accept Research Students.

Applicants for Research Student admission must contact and obtain approval from a prospective advisor(3), who may be selected by searching the Activity Database on Education and Research or the websites of Kyoto University and its individual Faculties/Graduate Schools, research institutes, and centers. Applicants must then submit an admission form and other required documents to the University. To learn about the exact steps involved, visit the website of the graduate school of your choice or contact its administrative office. Tuition and fees are indicated on this page.

In addition to Research Student enrollment, those from Kyoto University's student exchange partner institutions (university- and department-level partners) may be eligible for Exchange Student admission. For details, please refer to the following page and consult the office in charge at your university:
Exchange Students


  1. An individual intern's status may depend on the purpose and duration of the internship.
  2. For details, please read "Special research students (non-degree course)" under "Foreign government scholarships" on the following page:
  3. Contact must be made via the Admissions Assistance Office, as detailed in the AAO Application Procedures, linked from the Admissions guide for graduates of overseas universities.

Applicants from overseas universities

Graduates of overseas universities wishing to enroll in a Kyoto University Graduate School as a research, master's, or doctoral student are required to contact the Admissions Assistance Office (AAO) for a preliminary review before submitting their applications.

Please refer to the following page for details:
Admissions guide for graduates of overseas universities