Municipal services and birth registration

Some municipal and ward offices offer services such as health and education consultation and Japanese language classes to international residents. The ''Easy Living in Kyoto'' booklet, published by the Kyoto City International Foundation , is an excellent source of information on such services. It is available in five languages (Japanese, Chinese, English, Korean, and Spanish), and can be obtained from the Foundation as well as from municipal/ward offices.

Procedures required following a child's birth

Parents who have given birth in Japan must:

  1. Obtain a birth certificate ( shussei todoke ) from the hospital
  2. Visit their local municipal office to register the birth, and obtain National Health Insurance (NHI) coverage for the newborn
  3. Visit a diplomatic mission to apply for the child's passport
  4. Visit the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau to apply for the child's resident status

Those enrolled in NHI are eligible for "One-Time Financial Assistance for Childbirth", available by application to their local municipal/ward office. Enrollees in other Japanese insurance programs should also be able to receive a lump-sum birth allowance by requesting one from their insurance providers.

There is additional support available from municipal/ward offices to households with children. Ask your local office for details.

Related links

Kyoto University International Service Office website: