Crime and disaster prevention

In other languages
Police 110
Fire Department & Ambulance 119 *

* When international residents and tourists call 119 for a fire truck or ambulance in Kyoto City. Interpretation services are available in the following languages: Chinese, English, Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish.

Kyoto City Fire Department (external link, in Japanese)

Safety tips before going out or going to sleep

  • Lock doors and windows, turn off gas, electrical appliances, and all sources of heat such as irons, kitchen stoves, and heaters, before going out or going to sleep.

Lost or stolen property

  • Call 110 (police) in the event of theft or burglary
  • Report lost or stolen ATM/credit cards to the card company immediately to prevent/stop any unauthorized use. Also make a report to the police.
  • Police offices issue a certificate of loss/stolen property, usually called “ ishitsu-todoke/tounan-todoke shomeisho ”, which may be required for a reissue application of a Resident Card (Alien Registration Card)/passport.

Traffic accidents

  • Call 110 (police) even in the event of slight accidents.
  • If there are any injured persons, call 119 (Fire Department) and request an ambulance.
  • The effects of injuries can take several days to become apparent, so even if there is no external injury, be sure to get a medical examination at a hospital.
  • Make a note of the other party’s name, address, phone number, age, driver’s license number, plate number, name of insurance company and insurance policy number.
  • Make a note of the name, address, and phone number of the witness if there is any.
Kyoto Traffic Accidents Consulting Office (external link, in Japanese)
Phone: 075-414-4274

Precaution against natural disasters including earthquake and typhoon

  • When there is a danger of a natural disaster occurring, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) issues an appropriate alert (i.e. "Advisory", Waring", and "Emergency Warning", etc.) through mass media channels such as TV, radio, and the internet, as well as through the JMA website (address below).
  • Keep the escape route clear and unobstructed.
  • Arrange furniture in such a way that there is no danger of items toppling or falling on you in the event of an earthquake occurring while you are asleep. Bolt furniture in place if necessary.
  • Prepare an emergency bag containing food, water, portable radio, flashlight, candles, matches, medical kit, etc.
  • Decide on an evacuation site with your family members. Elementary schoolyards are often used for public evacuation sites.
  • To enquire about the locations of evacuation sites and fire outbreaks, call consultation number at Fire Department (075-231-5000. Japanese language only) .

Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) (external link)

In the event of natural disaster

  • Turn off any source of heat such as gas or electric heaters, stoves, etc.
  • Turn on the radio or television to get accurate information. In the main cities of the Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, etc.) the foreign language FM station FM Cocolo (76.5 MHz) broadcasts emergency information etc. in 17 languages (mainly Asian languages).
  • Travel on foot and carry the minimum necessities when evacuating.
  • If you evacuate your residence to seek a safe area, report your status to the relevant faculty/graduate school administration office and your country’s embassy or consulate in Japan so that family members can be informed of your situation if they contact the university, embassy or consulate.

Disaster and Emergency Information by Kyoto Prefectural International Center (external link)

FM Cocolo (external link)

Foreign Missions in Japan by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (external link)