North Campus

Click the pictures for larger images.

 Olympics Oak
  • Competing in the triple jump at the Berlin Olympics in 1936, Naoto Tajima, who had just graduated from Kyoto University that spring, won a gold medal and set a new world record. Masao Harada, who was also a new graduate, won a silver medal. Tajima brought the seedling of this oak tree from Germany to commemorate that occasion.
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Olympics Oak
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Monument
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Monument and Olympics Oak
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Olympics Oak and Sports Ground
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Sports Ground
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Experimental Farm
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Experimental Farm
  • Photographed in July 2004.
 Main Street
  • Photographed in November 2004.
 Main Steet
  • Photographed in November 2004.
 Looking toward the Front Gate of the Faculty of Agriculture from Imadegawa Street.
  • Photographed in December 2004.
 Faculty of Agriculture Front Gate and Guard Station (Listed building)
  • Completed in 1924, the building has a unique structure incorporating Japanese roof tiles above a bold design. The North Campus became University property in 1921, as part of preparations for the establishment of the Faculty of Agriculture.
  • Photographed in December 2004.
 Yukawa Hall (Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics)
  • This building was completed in 1952 to commemorate Prof. Yukawa receiving a Nobel Prize in 1949.
  • Photographed in December 2004.
 Hideki Yukawa Bust and Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics
  • Hideki Yukawa (1907 - 1981), specializing in theoretical physics, was a professor of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics. He became the first Japanese recipient of a Nobel Prize in Physics, in 1949.
  • Photographed in December 2004.
 Yukawa Hall
  • Photographed in May 2005.
 Botanical Garden
  • Photographed in December 2004.
 Botanical Garden
  • Photographed in February 2005.
 Botanical Garden
  • Photographed in June 2005.
 Documentation and Information Center for Chinese Studies
  • Photographed in February 2005.
 Former Head Office of Forest Research Station
  • Built in 1931, the bungalow is roofed with Spanish roof tiles and has verandas extending into the inner court and garden, making the structure blend in with the surrounding grounds.
  • Photographed in May 2005.