Main Campus

Click the pictures for larger images.

Camphora (Terrace)
  • Photographed in May 2003.
Camphora (Inside)
  • Photographed in May 2003.
  • Photographed in March 2001.
  • Photographed in July 2003.
Student Affairs Department
  • Former Main Building of the Petrochemistry Course
  • The building was completed in 1889. Its one-storied portion, the oldest existent architecture at the University, was originally built as a Physics Laboratory upon relocation of the Third High School from Osaka. This building is also called the “Nobel Prize House,” because three Nobel laureates - Hideki Yukawa, Shinichiro Tomonaga and Kenichi Fukui - conducted their research here.
  • Photographed in September 2004.
Sonjo-do (Listed building)
  • he Sonjo-do was completed in 1903. It was originally built by the politician Yajiro Shinagawa, from the Choshu Domain,* as a facility to honor the spirit of loyal supporters of the Meiji Restoration** and to display their mementos. The building was donated to Kyoto University after Shinagawa’s death.
    * Domain (“han” in Japanese) was the basic unit of local sovereignty during the Edo period (1603 - 1867), as granted by the Tokugawa Shogunate to each “daimyo” feudal lord. The Tokugawa Shogunate was a military government established by Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu.
    ** The Meiji Restoration was the transition of political power from the collapse of the shogunate system at the end of the Edo period to the establishment of the Meiji regime (a coalition government of the former Satsuma and Choshu Domains). It also refers to a series of political reforms implemented by the Meiji government.
  • Photographed in September 2004.
Faculty of Law and Economics Main Building (West side)
  • Photographed in around 1965.
  • The main campus sits almost exactly on the site of the late Edo Period official Kyoto residence of the local lord of the Owari Domain. The stone wall along Higashioji Street (photographed) is thought to be from a later date, but the perimeter itself remains unchanged from the shogunate days, serving as a reminder of the site’s historic past.