About the Admissions Assistance Office (AAO)
AAO is tasked with facilitating the postgraduate application process for graduates of universities outside of Japan. Its responsibilities include preliminary screening followed by notification to applicants, depending on which they may then proceed to apply for a graduate program.
Those who have graduated or expect to graduate from non-Japanese universities may apply to study at KyotoU graduate schools as regular or research students. The application process for each graduate school differs, and may or may not include a preliminary AAO review (the "AAO process").
Note: Kyoto University may contact relevant test organizations to inquire about the test results submitted by applicants as part of the AAO process.
Who must apply through AAO?
Candidates for the AAO process are those who have graduated or expect to graduate from universities outside of Japan.
Prospective applicants are advised to visit the website of the graduate school/institute of their choice for application guidelines , and to learn about requirements regarding the AAO process.
Please refer to the following PDF file for details:
- AAO application procedures (PDF, English）
- Statement of Purpose (MS Word, English/Japanese)
- Statement of Purpose (For the Graduate School of Medicine) (MS Word, English/Japanese)
Those applying to the Graduate School of Medicine are requested to use this form.
Those who DO NOT NEED to apply through AAO
Those who have applied for the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Embassy Recommendation Scholarship, and who have passed the first screening conducted by a Japanese embassy or consulate general in their home countries, do not need to apply through AAO; they may apply directly for a "Letter of Provisional Acceptance" from Kyoto University.
Please refer to the following link for details on the MEXT Scholarship and how to apply for a Letter of Provisional Acceptance:
Tuition exemption for CSC scholarship students matriculating in October 2021 or April 2022
- Application guidelines 2021 (PDF, Japanese) (Updated 12 November 2020)
- Application guidelines 2021 (PDF, English) (Updated 12 November 2020)
- Application form (MS Word, Japanese and English) (Updated 12 November 2020)
- Agreement form (MS Excel, Japanese)
- Agreement form (PDF, Chinese translation, provided for reference purposes only)
- Asian Future Leadership Scholarship Program (AFLSP)
- Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP)