Procedures for MEXT (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship students

In other languages

MEXT Scholarship recipients are required to have 'student' status of residence. They must have obtained this status by the date of the first scholarship payment and maintain it throughout the payment period. Recipients whose resident status has changed to anything other than 'student' will lose eligibility for the scholarship and be required to follow a specific procedure to have the payments terminated. Any amount received after losing eligibility must be returned to the provider.

Procedures for receiving monthly scholarships

In order to receive a monthly scholarship, students need to sign the International Students Enrollment Ledger at the designated university offices once a month during the periods specified. Payment can only be made to those whose signatures are confirmed by the International Student Division. Please note that students who are outside the country for an entire month will not be paid for that period.

Signatures must be written by the recipients themselves, and may not be substituted with seal imprints. Any scholarship received following an incorrect procedure must be returned to the provider.

Procedures for receiving monthly scholarships (Japanese Government Scholarship, Japan-Korea Joint Government Scholarship, and Honors Scholarship)

Extension of scholarship

Eligible students will receive notice of scholarship extension procedures in or around December from the International Student Division via the administrative offices of their Faculties/Graduate Schools.

All inquiries regarding these procedures should be directed to:
Faculty and Graduate School administrative offices

Return travel expenses

Those eligible for a return air ticket will be contacted by their faculty/graduate school administrative office at least two months prior to the end of their program. Those who  then apply for one will receive via the University a ticket issued by a travel agency designated by MEXT. Such tickets have fixed travel dates and are not refundable.

Further details are available by contacting:
Faculty and Graduate School administrative offices

Temporary departure from Japan

As noted above, signing the enrollment ledger during the specified period is required in order to receive a monthly stipend. Accordingly, students intending to temporarily leave Japan are advised to consider the signing schedule and other important dates when making travel plans. The following are required procedures prior to traveling:

  1. Obtain permission from the academic advisor
  2. Report to the faculty/graduate school office and submit required documents
  3. Report to the International Student Division by emailing:
    intlstudent* (replace * with @) 

Faculty and Graduate School administrative offices