Kyoto University will accept applications for tuition exemption for the first semester of the 2023-2024 academic year as outlined below.
1. Application process and schedule
The application process consists of the following steps:
- Step 1) Data submission (family details) via the Exemption Online Application System (EOAS)*
- Step 2) Application (document submission)
* EOAS is accessible via the Kyoto University Liberal Arts Syllabus Information System (KULASIS).
- Each step must be completed during the period specified below.
- Failure to complete either step in time will result in disqualification; late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Step 1: Data submission
Friday 10 March 12:00 – Wednesday 5 April 17:00
- Applicants for admission fee exemption/deferment must have completed the pre-application procedure before this step.
- Step 1 must be completed during the above period in order to proceed to Step 2.
How to apply
Registration via EOAS (accessible from "Links" on the KULASIS top page)
Registration via EOAS (accessible from "Financial aid" on the "New students' site" ）
Step 2: Application (document submission)
Monday 3 April 9:00 – Friday 7 April 17:00
(Mailed documents must arrive no later than the end of the business day on 7 April. ）
How to apply
Obtain the specified envelope, label it as instructed, enclose the required documents, and submit it to the administrative office of your faculty/graduate school or the Student Affairs Division.
If you choose to mail your documents, use an envelope that is large enough to hold A4-size paper unfolded. Before posting, attach a "sending form" (送付状) to the front of the envelope. This form is available on the webpage for printing out the application. After completing Step 1, print the form by pressing the "print" button on the page.
Eligible applicants are regular undergraduate and graduate students who:
- have excellent academic records who find it difficult to pay tuition fees due to economic reasons,
- find it extremely difficult to pay tuition fees because the individual chiefly responsible for their academic expenses ("Academic Expense Supporter")* has passed away, or the students themselves or their Academic Expense Supporter have suffered major damage from wind, flood, or other disasters within six months prior to the payment due date, or
- have circumstance(s) that are deemed by Kyoto University President to be comparable to 2).
* The Academic Expense Supporter may be the actual student.
Students who have received disciplinary action within six months prior to the start of the semester or at the time of the application are ineligible. If a student receives disciplinary action after applying, that student's application will be invalidated.
3. Application results
Results will be announced on EOAS around late July 2023.
- Further details are available at:
Tuition exemption and admission fee exemption/deferment
- Any changes to the above information will be announced via notices from the Student Affairs Division.
Student Affairs Division, Education Promotion and Student Support Department
Email: 840menjo*mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (replace * with @)