Kyoto University will accept applications for tuition exemption for the second semester of the 2022-2023 academic year as outlined below.
1. Application process and schedule
The application process consists of the following steps:
- Step 1) Data submission (family details) via the Exemption Online Application System (EOAS)*
- Step 2) Application (document submission)
* EOAS is accessible via the Kyoto University Liberal Arts Syllabus Information System (KULASIS).
- Those who chose "Batch (collective application of first and second semester)", and completed all steps in the first semester, do not need to re-register in second semester. If you do need to update information you submitted, login to EOAS and make necessary changes during the Step 1 period, and submit the application form and other required documents during the Step 2 period.
- Each step must be completed during the period specified below..
- Failure to complete either step in time will result in disqualification; late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Step 1: Data submission
Monday 12 September 12:00 – Tuesday 4 October 17:00
- Applicants for Admission fee exemption/deferment must have completed the pre-application procedure before this step.
- Those who completed Step 1 but not Step 2 during the first semester need to input their data again during Step 1 for the second semester (the previous data will have been automatically deleted).
- Step 1 must be completed during the above period in order to proceed to Step 2.
How to apply
|Current students||Registration via EOAS (accessible from "Links" on the KULASIS top page)|
|New graduate students*||Registration via EOAS (accessible from "Financial aid" on the "New students' site" ） Notes:
Step 2: Application (document submission)
Monday 3 October 9:00 – Friday 7 October 17:00
(Mailed documents must arrive no later than the end of the business day on 7 October.）
How to apply
Obtain the specified envelope, label it as instructed, enclose the required documents, and submit it to the administrative office of your faculty/graduate school or the Student Affairs Division.
Eligible applicants are regular undergraduate and graduate students who:
- have excellent academic records but find it difficult to pay tuition fees due to economic reasons,
- find it extremely difficult to pay tuition fees because the individual chiefly responsible for their academic expenses ("Academic Expense Supporter")* has passed away, or the students themselves or their Academic Expense Supporter have suffered major damage from wind, flood, or other disasters within six months prior to the payment due date, or
- are deemed by Kyoto University President to be facing circumstances comparable to 2.
* The Academic Expense Supporter may be the actual student.
Students who have received disciplinary action within six months prior to the start of the semester or at the time of the application are ineligible. If a student receives disciplinary action after applying, that student's application will be invalidated.
3. Application results
Results will be announced on EOAS around late January 2023.
- Further details are available at:
Tuition exemption and admission fee exemption/deferment
- Detailed guidelines will be posted on the Kyoto University website in the middle of August.
- Any changes to the above information will be announced via notices from the Student Affairs Division.
Student Affairs Division, Education Promotion and Student Support Department