UPDATE: The Application Form 2015 (Word) has been replaced with a new version. (10 April 2015)
The Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) is a full scholarship program designed to promote interaction among the young people of Asia. It was established through the generosity of Mr Ronald K Y Chao (vice chairman, Novel Enterprises Limited) of Hong Kong, and is administered by Bai Xian Education Foundation Limited and Bai Xian Asia Institute Limited. Commencing operation in 2014, AFLSP aims to support young Asians wishing to undertake study abroad within the Asia-Pacific region, advance cross-cultural understanding, and foster individuals capable of contributing to goodwill and development both in Asia and globally in the future. Six universities in China and Japan, including Kyoto University, have been chosen as anchor universities for the AFLSP. These universities, together with other institutions participating in the program, shall select the scholarship recipients each year.
Please refer to the application guidelines for application.
- Supportive of the AFLSP's purposes, interested in international understanding and goodwill, and prepared to contribute.
- Citizenship of an Asian country other than Japan, and prospective status of residence in Japan of "College Student" at the time the scholarship is awarded (those with multiple citizenship of Japan and other country/ies are not eligible).
- Under 35 years of age at the time of application.
- Completed a bachelor's degree at a designated institution (Peking University, Tsinghua University, Fudan University, Zhejiang University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Xi'an Jiao Tong University, Nanjing University, University of Science and Technology of China, Naknkai University), or expecting to complete such a degree by the beginning of the scholarship term.
- Expecting to enroll as a regular (degree-seeking) student (master's [post-doctoral], doctoral, 5-year doctoral, professional degree program) at a graduate school of Kyoto University in October 2015 or April 2016, and planning to complete that degree program in the standard number of years.
- Completed the screening procedures at the Kyoto University Admissions Assistance Office (AAO) by the beginning of the scholarship term.
- Recommended by a supervising university professor or by an individual of equivalent status.
- Capable of communicating in either Japanese or English.
- Able to participate in the Summer Enrichment Program (held annually over four weeks) and other exchange events held as part of the program during the scholarship term. Summer Enrichment Program, August 2016 (TBD)
- Not in receipt of scholarships from any other organization or government during the term of the scholarship.
- Not engaged in any casual employment or other work during the term of the scholarship unless granted permission.
- Never previously received an AFLSP scholarship.
- In genuine need of financial support.
- In sound physical and mental health, with high moral standards, and an outstanding academic record.
Annual amount: 25,000 US dollars approximately （the scholarship shall be paid in Japanese yen）
Maximum of two years
Number of recipients
15 May to midnight 25 May 2015（Japan time）
Recipients shall be selected by a screening of their application documents, followed by interviews.
Application guidelines / Application documents
Please read the application guidelines thoroughly before you apply.
- Application Form 2015 (Word)
- Letter of Recommendation 2015 (Word)
- Declaration of Understanding and Agreement (PDF)
Mika KITANO (Ms) AFLSP Coordinator,
International Education and Student Mobility Division, Kyoto University
E-mail: AFLSP *mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace the * with @.)