1. Would you send me information and application forms for the entrance exam of Kyoto University?

Entrance examination dates and application forms vary among faculties/graduate schools at Kyoto University. Please select a faculty/graduate school first and contact its administration office to request the information.

Faculty and Graduate School Administration Offices

Back to Top

2. Would you please tell me about faculty (or graduate school) of X at Kyoto University?

Please refer to the website of the faculty/graduate school you are interested in first. If you have further questions, please direct your inquiries to the faculty/graduate school administration office.

Faculty and Graduate School Administration Offices

Back to Top

3. How much is the cost of living?

Although the cost of living varies depending on factors such as housing expenditure and food budget, the average living expenses for international students in the Kyoto and Osaka area are \134,000 per month, according to the "Student Guide to Japan 2013-2014 (External Link)", published by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO).

Back to Top

4. What is the language of instruction at Kyoto University?

With the exception of English-taught degree courses, classes are generally conducted in Japanese unless specified otherwise. Those who wish to enroll in an undergraduate program or a master's program must, therefore, have sufficient proficiency in Japanese upon entering the university.

For daily living, it is highly recommended that all international students learn at least some basic Japanese during their stay in Japan. The International Center of Kyoto University provides supplemental Japanese language classes to international students and researchers free of charge. Students can choose suitable classes from various options to suit their needs. For information on the Japanese language classes available, please refer to the following website.

Japanese Language Education at the International Center (External Link)

English Taught Degree Courses at Kyoto University (External Link)

Back to Top

5. Would you recommend an instructor for me?

You are the best person to make decisions about which instructor is most suitable for the field of your interests. Please choose a prospective academic advisor through Kyoto University official websites. Details of our academic staff can be found on the following pages: "Activity Database on Education and Research (External Link)", and "Faculties & Graduate Schools" .

Back to Top

6. Are there any student exchange programs at Kyoto University?

There are two types of exchange programs for students whose institutions have a university-level student exchange agreement with Kyoto University, Kyoto University International Education Program (KUINEP) and Kyoto University General Exchange Program. Both programs accept students for a semester (6 months) or for two semesters (12 months). For further information on each program, please refer to the following website.

Exchange Programs at Kyoto University

Back to Top

7. I would like to study Japanese Language at Kyoto University.

Kyoto University does not have an independent faculty for the study of the Japanese Language. If you wish to prepare for admission to the university, please study at an appropriate Japanese language school.

Back to Top

8. Could I apply for a room in a Kyoto University International House?

International students who will be enrolled at Kyoto University within less than a year of their arrival in Japan are eligible to apply. The application periods are January and July (three months prior to move-in). The tenancy period is either one year or six months (no-extendable in either case). To apply, please contact your faculty/graduate school office. For further information on Kyoto University International Houses, please refer to the following website.

Faculty and Graduate School Administration Offices

Kyoto University International Houses (External Link)

Back to Top

9. Please give me information about scholarships to study at Kyoto University.

Pre-arrival applications for Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship should be made through a Japanese embassy or consulate (embassy recommendations) or through a university in Japan (university recommendations). Most MEXT Scholarship students at Kyoto University are awarded the scholarship through Embassy Recommendations. For further information on MEXT Scholarship, please refer to the following website and contact the appropriate Japanese diplomatic mission in your country for details on embassy recommendation.

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship Students

For more information on scholarships, please visit the following website, or Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)(External Link) website, (please click "Study in Japan" > "Scholarships" > "Scholarships for International Students in Japan") and "Study in Japan Comprehensive Guide" website (External Link) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.  Applications for scholarships from private institutions based on intra-university selection process are generally accepted following admission to the university. Since the selection processes for these scholarships are very competitive, it is generally necessary to have sufficient financial resources prior to entering Kyoto University.


Back to Top

10. I am applying for the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship, and I would like to receive an acceptance letter from Kyoto University.

Only those who passed the preliminary screening by the Japanese embassy/consulate in their county can contact prospective advisors for "Letter of Acceptance". 

If this applies to you, please choose a prospective academic advisor through Kyoto University official websites. Details of our academic staff can be found on the following pages: "Activity Database on Education and Research (External Link)", and "Kyoto University Bulletin (External Link)". Prepare the following documents and send them to the prospective advisor. If the advisor's contact information is not available, please contact the faculty/graduate school administration office to which he or she belongs, mentioning the advisor's name.

Necessary Documents (Not returnable):

  • Certification of preliminary selection issued by the relevant Japanese diplomatic mission (Original)
  • An official letter of acceptance (in the prescribed form)
  • Copies of the documents you have submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission in your country
  • Any additional documents required by the prospective advisor or administration office.

Back to Top