Career Guidance for International Students

Business Japanese Classes by The International Center of Kyoto University

Students seeking employment in Japan may learn Japanese and business etiquette through the classes offered by the International Center of Kyoto University.

The first (spring) semester is from April to July and the second (fall) semester is from October to January. The course catalogue and registration are available online twice a year, around late March and late September (at the website below). Course catalogues are also available at your faculty/graduate school office and the International Education and Student Mobility Division. Please note that hard copy registrations cannot be submitted at the office. Also, be aware that from spring 2014, registrations must be made online.

Kyoto University International Center (External Link)

Kyoto University General Student Support Center Career Support Office

The office provides information and suggestions on career development and job searching for Kyoto University students. Job information for international students is also available.

Kyoto University General Student Support Center Career Support Office (External Link)

Open Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 - 17:00 (Except holidays)

Career Guidance & Job Fair for International Students

Around June every year, a "Career Guidance & Job Fair" is held to assist international students seeking employment in Japan.

The event features booths operated by representative from companies from various cities in Japan.

Off-Campus Career Information Centers

Employment Service Center for Foreigners

Japan Student Service Organization (JASSO)

Japan Student Service Organization (JASSO) (External Link)

Kyoto Job Park (in Japanese language only)

Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare

Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare (External Link)

Changing Status of Residence to Work After Graduation

International students who continue to stay in Japan after graduation must change their Status of Residence. Anyone engaging in an activity other than those permitted by his/her Status of Residence may be subject to punitive measures.

International students are responsible for undertaking all of the above procedures by themselves at the immigration office. It may be necessary to obtain various documents from the university, work place, etc. Please inquire about the documents required to complete the process at the Immigration Bureau (External Link).

If employed in Japan after graduating

If employed in Japan after graduating, it is necessary to make the appropriate change in your status of residence. Depending on the type of employment, the status may change to "Specialist in Humanities/International Services," "Skilled Labor," etc. The documents required vary depending on which status of residence is applied for.

When seeking employment in Japan after graduating

When seeking employment in Japan after graduating, it is necessary to change your status of residence to "Designated Activities" status. International students with this status are allowed to stay in Japan for six months (extendable up to one year) in order to seek employment in Japan.