Visa/Obligations/Other Information

Temporary Visitor Visa for Entrance Exams

In order for international applicants to enter Japan and sit the Kyoto University entrance exams, they must obtain a "Temporary Visitor Visa (Tankitaizai)" through the Japanese diplomatic mission in their country. Temporary visitors are not allowed to engage in any paid activities.

College Student Visas

Those who are relocating from overseas

Successful candidates must obtain a "College Student Visa (Ryugaku)" through the Japanese diplomatic mission in their country by presenting a certificate or notification of acceptance from Kyoto University, a valid passport and other relevant documents.

In order to receive a visa, you may need to submit evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Japan.

Those who are already in Japan

Successful candidates who are already in Japan with a resident status other than College Student (Ryugaku) must change their current resident status (for example Temporary Visitor [Tankitaizai]) to College Student (Ryugaku). 

Resident Card

A resident card will be issued to newly arrived foreign nationals who intend to reside in Japan for a period beyond 3 months of their arrival. For those who are arriving at Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai Airports, the resident card will be issued after the immigration examination. For those who are arriving at airports other than those mentioned above, the card will be sent to their address after submitting a Notification of Place of Residence to their municipal office. International residents are required by law to carry their resident card at all times.

Notification of Place of Residence (Resident Registration)

All foreign nationals who intend to stay in Japan for a period of over 3 months of their arrival must register their place of residence at their local City/Ward Office within 14 days of moving into their new place of residence. 

National Health Insurance

All foreign nationals residing in Japan for the mid-to long term (over 3 months) are required to be covered by one of the Japanese public medical insurance programs. For students, the most common and highly recommended option is to join the National Health Insurance (NHI). Students with a "Temporary Visitor Visa" or a "College Student Visa (with a 3 month period of stay)" will not be eligible for the NHI, and are highly encouraged to buy a travel insurance policy (or other similar policy) before coming to Japan.

Applications are accepted at the City/Ward Office Health Insurance Department after completing the Resident Registration. Subscribers need only pay 30% of medical costs upon presentation of their National Health Insurance Card at the hospital reception prior to receiving treatment. The insurance premium varies depending on individual circumstances such as the number of their family members. The yearly fee is approximately \18,000 for unmarried international students living in Kyoto City. 

Work Permit

International students are allowed to have a part-time job provided they receive "Work Permit" in advance from the immigration office.

They must follow the terms below.

  1. The part-time job must not interfere with academic work.
  2. The maximum hours of work for "College Student Visa" holders is 28 hours per week (during summers and other long vacations, this is extended to allow up to 8 hours of work per day, within the confines of the legal 40-hour work week).
  3. The job must not affect public order and morals (for example, sex-related industry employment is forbidden). 

Working without permission will incur a penalty.