The National Health Insurance does not fully cover fees for the treatment of injuries that arise from accidents, and damages which you may cause to someone else's property or another person.
Unanticipated situations such as accidents or illnesses may result in an overwhelming financial burden.
Enrolling in an insurance program is, therefore, highly recommended.
In case of illness/injury
- Personal Accident Insurance for Students While Pursuing Education and Research (Compulsory in principal)
Compensation against unexpected accidents during commutes, extracurricular activities, and education/research activities at the University. Apply at the Student Affairs Division.
- Student Mutual Benefit, Life Mutual Insurance (Optional)
Covers hospital visits/hospitalization on/off campus. Apply at the Kyoto University Co-op.
In event of causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party
- Personal Liability Insurance for Students While Pursuing Education and Research (Compulsory in principal)
Compensation against unexpected accidents to a third party during education and research activities at the University. Apply at the Student Affairs Division.
- Personal Liability Insurance for Students (Compulsory for international students in principal)
Covers the insured party's legal liability for bodily injury or property damage caused to a third party. Apply at Kyoto University Co-op.
In case of damages to rented apartments
- Student Mutual Benefit, Fire Mutual Insurance (Optional)
Covers damages to a rented apartment resulting from an accidental fire and/or water leak. Apply at Kyoto University Co-op.
- Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan （Limited Eligibility)
Protect the insured students and their guarantors from unexpected occurrences. Applications are limited to those whose academic advisors agree to become their guarantors, or those who join in the Kyoto University International Students Housing Guaranty System. Apply at the International Service Office.